st: RE: Log Transformation and GLM

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Log Transformation and GLM
Date   Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:04:26 -0000

This raises several issues, mostly in my view well
dealt with by Maarten Buis. However, GLM with a log
link is not to be thought of as taking logs twice.

I think of it as doing calculations in terms of the
log response but reporting in terms of the response.
That is why "link" is not just an idiosyncratic
name for "transform": it is a different idea.

Also, it is not strictly necessary to have positive
a good solution to zero-inflation. It might be sensible
if your reported zeros were really all small positive quantities
too small to measure.

As you say nothing about your data, I cannot tell whether
this applies to you, but from the models you mention
it sounds as if you have counted data, so I guess not.

Charles Goss