st: UCLA ATS Stata Programs and adoupdate

From   "Mitchell, Michael" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: UCLA ATS Stata Programs and adoupdate
Date   Sat, 7 Jan 2006 22:17:41 -0800

Greetings

  As you have all seen, the -adoupdate- command has recently been added to Stata to simplify and automate the process of updating user written programs to the latest version. The only requirement is that the .pkg file associated with the program contain a line

d Distribution-Date:  date

  telling the last date the package was updated. The UCLA ATS Stata programs from

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/ado/

  did not have distribution dates, until now! We will now be keeping the distribution dates on our files up to date. If you install a new program from our site, the -adoupdate- program will do a dandy job of keeping your versions up to date. However, if you downloaded programs prior to today, see the help file for -adoupdate- and see the section titled "Possible problems the first time you run adoupdate, and their solutions" which will describe how -adoupdate- will behave for those programs.

  For the curious, we have created a Perl program to automatically add distribution dates where none existed and update a distribution date when any of the files referenced in the package are updated. If anyone is interested in our little Perl program, send me an email at [email protected] and I would be happy to share it (provided  you promise not to laugh at my amateurish Perl programming).

Happy updating!

Michael Mitchell
Statistical Consulting Group
UCLA Academic Technology Services