st: Adoupdate, automatcally update d Distribution-Date???

From   "Mitchell, Michael" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Adoupdate, automatcally update d Distribution-Date???
Date   Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:26:29 -0800

Greetings
  The -adoupdate- command is really awesome. The only hitch is that the .pkg files need to included a line such as

d Distribution-Date: 20050617

  to indicate the last distribution date. I would like to add this to all of the .pkg files we have at UCLA and would like to keep them up to date. However, if we need to update this date manually, we are notorious about forgetting such a step -- as a result, we will likely update our .ado file but forget to update the Distribution-Date and hence unintentionally defeat -adoupdate- .
  Does anyone have a Stata program or perhaps a perl program that would inspect all of the .pkg files in a directory and then inspect the dates of all of the files referenced in the .pkg file, and if needed update the

d Distribution-Date: YYYYMMDD

  line to reflect the latest date? If not, is there anyone who is planning on writing such a routine?

P.S. The tech report "Strategically using General Purpose Statistics Packages: A Look at Stata, SAS and SPSS" has been updated to version 1.0. I received lots of terrific input from probably about 20 different people, and the report has been updated to reflect that wonderful input. Many thanks to all of those who took the time to share their thoughts, specifically thanked in the Acknowledgements.

Many thanks!

Michael Mitchell
Statistical Consulting Group
UCLA Academic Technology Services