st: RE: R�p. : RE: st: Kwallis in a loop [now p-value of the Kwallis]

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: R�p. : RE: st: Kwallis in a loop [now p-value of the Kwallis]
Date   Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:03:47 -0000

Several different issues arise here.

1. When you type what you did, the official Stata
command -tokenize- called within -makematrix-
fails because it objects, as reported, to

tokenize r(chi2_adj) max(chiprob(r(df),r(chi2_adj)+1e-20),.0001)

At this moment, I am hard pushed to see whose bug this is,
mine or Stata's, as -tokenize- professes to tokenize
on spaces unless otherwise instructed. The Statalist FAQ
does advise me not to say that something is a bug, because
it usually isn't. However, compare, for example,

. local 2 : word 2 of r(chi2_adj) max(chiprob(r(df),r(chi2_adj)+1e-20),.0001)

. di "`2'"
max(chiprob(r(df),r(chi2_adj)+1e-20),.0001)

which works as I expect. In short, -makematrix- can't cope with
what you want, but in principle that might be my bug.

2. In your example, you want to pick up just two numbers from
-kwallis- and put them in a matrix. You don't need -makematrix-
to act as middle man here.

Just run

. kwallis ...

. mat m2 = J(1,1, r(chi2_adj))

. mat m2 = m2, chiprob(r(df),r(chi2_adj))

Incidentally,

max(chiprob(r(df),r(chi2_adj)+1e-20),.0001)

looks like a bit of kludge-fudge to avoid very small
P-values. That is not documented in [R] kwallis, but there may
be good authority for it.

3. I note your more general comments. Like many users
you are in transition between dependence on what others
have written and wanting more control over the output
you get. Ultimately, you will have to learn some
Stata programming to get what you want, as what others
have written may often not be exactly what you want.

Herve STOLOWY