st: RE: graph matrix

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: graph matrix
Date   Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:36:50 -0000

Daniel H�chle

> I do have a panel dataset in wide form. The data looks like this:
>
> PNr   MarkOut   T1      T2      T3
> 1     .         0.12    0.13    0.12
> 2     .         0.15    0.15    0.22
> 3     1         0.11    0.12    0.15
> 4     .         0.21    0.17    0.12
>
> There are several thousand individuals (PNr) and a small subgroup of
> them (MarkOut==1) is of special interest.
>
> Is it possible to produce a scatterplot matrix (graph matrix) for
> variables T1, T2, and T3 where individuals with MarkOut==. and
> MarkOut==1 have markers with different colors (option mcolor)?

I don't know a way of doing this easily. A Stata Tip on
classifying data points on scatter plots in press in Stata Journal
5(4) 2005 offers one work-around.

graph matrix T1 T2 T3, ms(none) mlabel(MarkOut) mlabpos(0)

> Furthermore, I do not know how to control the look of a
> single axis in a
> scatter plot matrix. When I replicate the Stata manual's example ([G],
> p. 120), I receive error r(198) [invalid syntax]:
>
> . sysuse auto
> . graph matrix mpg weight displ, yaxis(0(5)40, axis(1))
> option yaxis() not allowed
> invalid syntax
> r(198);

This is a typo in the manual. The option should be

ylabel(0(5)40, axis(1))

The typo also occurs (together with another) in the on-line help.