Re: st: Numerous t-tests

From   Ron�n Conroy <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Numerous t-tests
Date   Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:51:46 +0100

On 26 DF�mh 2005, at 11:32, Allan Garland wrote:

I have what should be a very simple question, but I haven't been able to
figure out the answer. I want to do group mean comparison t-tests and
rank sum tests on a number of different variables.. But, it appears
that both -ttest- and -ranksum- will only do 1 variable at a time. So,
is there a single command that will let me put in any number of
variables (along with the 2-level grouping variable, of course) and will
then do ALL the tests at once?

-regress- is a lot faster than t-test, and the output is easier to read, IMO. The coefficient and its confidence interval represent the difference in means and its CI.

for slamming through variable lists, I still like -for-

. for var1 - var99 : regress X gender \ ranksum X, by(gender)

Note that this gives you your OLS and rank test one under the other.

Another advantage of regress is that you can adjust the comparisons:

. for var1 - var99 : regress X gender age \ adjust, by(gender) xb ci format(your format here)

and this little tweak would dump age-adjusted means and confidence intervals into the output in the right place.

Ron�n Conroy

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/