st: RE: ratings to rankings data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: ratings to rankings data
Date   Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:59:07 +0100

This sounds like a job for -rowranks- from SSC.

. ssc desc rowranks

gives a brief description and

. ssc type rowranks.hlp

a longer one:

Row ranks of a set of variables
-------------------------------

    rowranks varlist, generate(newvarlist) [ lowrank highrank field ]

Description
-----------

rowranks creates new variables rank_1, ... , rank_p corresponding to
var_1, ... , var_p in varlist such that each new variable, say rank_j,
contains the ranks of the corresponding variable var_j within var_1,
... , var_p. varlist should contain all numeric variables.

By default, lowest values rank lowest and the rank created is the
average rank, such that the sum of the ranks is preserved under ties.

For example, given

         x1 x2 x3 x4 x5
         --------------
          2  3  5  7  9
          2  3  3  3  9

the ranks created are

          1  2  3  4  5
          1  3  3  3  5

-------

generate(newvarlist) specifies new variable names for the
    variables to be generated, one for each variable in varlist.
    newvarlist may be specified in hyphenated form, as in y1-y5.
    This option is required.

lowrank specifies the use of "low ranks", 1 + (# < this value).

highrank specifies the use of "high ranks", (# <= this value).

field specifies that highest values rank lowest. The default is
    the "track" convention, lowest values rank lowest. With field
    the inequalities for lowrank and highrank are > and >=
    respectively.

Examples
--------

        . rowranks x1-x5, gen(y1-y5)