st: RE: Collapsing Over Limited Set

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Collapsing Over Limited Set
Date   Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:26:04 +0100

As I understand it, this is not a collapsing problem
at all, as you want as many observations at the
end as you start with.

One way to approach this is to notice that

sum of all others = sum of all - value for this

which suggests the following line of attack:

bysort product: gen ave_others = sum(markup)
by product: replace ave_others = (ave_others[_N] - markup) / (_N - 1)

This would need some tweaking if markup was ever missing:

gen byte touse = markup < .
bysort touse product: gen ave_others = sum(markup) if touse
by touse product: replace ave_others = (ave_others[_N] - markup) / (_N - 1)

Some searching would have pointed to a ragbag of tricks in

How do I create variables summarizing for each individual properties of the
other members of a group?

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/members.html

Jason Hwang