Re: st: Reply for "stata9 vs stata8 memory issues"

Subject   Re: st: Reply for "stata9 vs stata8 memory issues"
Date   Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:23:39 -0400

I only think the hotfix helps if you are trying to allocate more than about 800 or 900m. I just installed it and my max mem allocation went from 900m to 1400m -- which is the same as I could get under Stata 8. I think your problem is different and may be best solved by either tuning for system to avoid loading lots of apps and processes that you don't need (auto starting items) or just adding more ram (given how cheap it has become).

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Neustadtl" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: st: Reply for "stata9 vs stata8 memory issues"

I just upgraded from V8 Intercooled to V9 SE and was hoping to have
better control with datasets with a large number of variables.  But,
because I moved in two directions (V8->v9 and intercooled->SE) it is
hard to be specific about the nature of my problem.  My computer has
1g memory and the dataset is about 500m (if I can read it and comptess
it should end up around 250m).  I can't allocate enough memory to read
the original dataset.  After the hotfix I am unable to allocate as
much as before.  I use WinXP and set a restore point so I was able to
rollback the system.

My solution was to break the dataset into three smaller datasets,
compress each one, and then append them.

Regardless, after spending lots of $s to upgrade to SE and about 1.5
hours on the phone with MS, I was not thrilled.

Best,
Alan