st: Reply for "stata9 vs stata8 memory issues"

From   Hua Peng <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Reply for "stata9 vs stata8 memory issues"
Date   Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:56:22 -0500

Michael Blasnik wrote:

>This is a bug in XP SP2 that didn't affect Stata 8 but does
>affect Stata 9 because Stata 9 switched to the MFC libraries.
>It is a Stata faq:
>
>http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/winmemory.html
>
>Unfortunately, I have recently started using my Stata 9 and I
>tried to get the hot fix mentioned in the faq and MS told me
>that it was pulled.  So, as of now, I need to use Stata 8.2 for
>large datasets.  In fact, I find myself mostly using 8.2 because
>of this bug and I would to know if any other potential fixes are
>lurking out there.

Microsoft has informed us that hotfix 8944472 referenced in our FAQ

   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/winmemory.html

was pulled simply because it will become part of the Windows XP
service pack 3 (SP3).  Microsoft says that SP3 will be released
in the next 6 months.

Until SP3 is released, we have received permission from Microsoft to
make hotfix 8944472 available to affected users.  It is available via
a link in the above FAQ.

Please let us know if you encounter any problem.

Hua.
  Hua Peng, Ph.D.
  Senior Software Engineer              VOICE: 1-979-696-4600
  StataCorp LP                          TOLL : 1-800-782-8272
  4905 Lakeway Drive                    FAX  : 1-979-696-4601
  College Station, TX 77845             EMAIL: [email protected]