Re: st: Remove day (but keep month and year) from x-axis

From   "MA V" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Remove day (but keep month and year) from x-axis
Date   Wed, 01 Jun 2005 00:24:43 +0000

Thanks. That was a great help. One more question: what if I just want the first three letters for each month and the last two numbers for the year? (e.g. Jan94)
Thanks,
MA_V

From: [email protected] (Derek Wagner, StataCorp)
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Remove day (but keep month and year) from x-axis
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:30:06 -0500

Ma_V wrote:

> I have a time series plot that I constructed using the "twoway" function.
> My question is the following: I have daily data, but I just want month and
> year (and not day) to show up in the x-axis.
> Does anyone know how to do this?

If you're not doing so already, you might want to use -twoway tsline- to
graph your time-series data. Then, you can use the -format- suboption
within the -tlabel- option to format the labels on the time axis (x-axis).
For example:

. webuse sp500

. tsset date

. twoway tsline high, tlabel(, format(%dM/CY))

This will give you labels with month and year instead of day/month/year.

The -format- option will also work with labels in other -twoway- commands
if you don't want to use -twoway tsline-:

. twoway scatter high date, xlabel(, format(%dM/CY))

Derek Wagner

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/