st: RE: RE: breaking labels into 2 lines

From   "Cheng, Hsu-Chih" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: breaking labels into 2 lines
Date   Wed, 25 May 2005 20:15:44 -0400

Thanks to Nick, Ben, and Nick.  This really helps.

--SC

	-----Original Message-----
	From: [email protected] on behalf of Nick Cox
	Sent: Wed 5/25/2005 3:19 PM
	To: [email protected]
	Subject: st: RE: breaking labels into 2 lines

	The answer lies in the use of compound double quotes.
	Try something like

	xla(1 `" "first" "group" "' 2 `" "second" "group" "')

	If you think of

	`"

	i.e. <left single quote><double quote>

	as a left delimiter

	and

	"'

	i.e. <double quote><right single quote>

	as the corresponding right delimiter, then
	you won't go wrong, given the school algebra-like
	rule that delimiters must be matched in pairs.

	I don't know where this is documented either;
	I too would be grateful for a manual or
	on-line help pointer, for this reason: if it
	isn't documented in at least one of those
	sources, it would be a good candidate for
	a Stata Journal Tip.

	Cheng, Hsu-Chih

	> I have long x labels and would like to break them into 2 or 3
	> lines so I can space categories in a graph.  For example, instead of
	>
	>
	>
	>    first group  second group
	>
	>
	>
	> I want to label the x-axis as
	>
	>
	>
	>    first      second
	>
	>    group      group
	>
	>
	>
	> I checked axis_label_options, but couldn't find an answer.  I
	> am sure I must have missed something.  I’d really appreciate
	> it if someone can help.

<<winmail.dat>>