RE: st: Questions about -rspread-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Questions about -rspread-
Date   Thu, 19 May 2005 17:58:05 +0100

As already explained, the "Files" message
is probably a side-effect of the way that
-rspread- uses various files. It is not smart
enough to handle filenames with
embedded spaces that are allowed by your
operating system.

Nor could it be: -rspread- predates
the change in operating system rules that
creates this problem. This problem is likely
to be capricious insofar
as it may depend on one or more of

1. which directory you are working in

2. where your datafiles are stored

3. where a -tempfile- command will create
a temporary file

none of which I can deduce at this distance.

I am not absolutely sure precisely where
the fault lies, but that is immaterial,
as examination of -rspread- makes it evident
that the program can and should be rewritten
without any file handling whatsoever.

The third message is a consequence of the
fact that -rspread- creates various variables
and then tries to -drop- them before it
finishes. If it falls over before it does that,
that the variables will be left behind, which
creates a problem on subsequent runs.

I cannot explain your second report.

As strongly hinted yesterday, at present you are
better off with -glcurve-. There is little point
in your persisting with -rspread- in its
present state.

I cannot say when -rspread- will be re-released.

louis boakye-yiadom