Re: st: re: discerning a variable's "type"

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: re: discerning a variable's "type"
Date   Mon, 02 May 2005 09:06:51 -0400

At 03:08 PM 5/1/2005 -0400, Kit Baum wrote:
[...]
1) compress will turn a "false float" into an appropriate integer (but one may not want to routinely compress a data set just to find that out!)

[...]
I would add that -compress- will not change a float to a long (if the values are all integers, but includes values too large for int or byte), as that does not reduce the storage space. If you are interested in converting float to long -- because it is the appropriate type for an integer-valued variable, then I recommend my -floattolong- program. See -ssc desc floattolong-.

Thanks,
-- David

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies