Re: st: Stata 9

From   [email protected] (William Gould, Stata)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata 9
Date   Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:41:31 -0500

Paul Millar <[email protected]> asked,

> Does anyone know if Stata 9 has symmetric multiprocessing (SMP)
> capabilities?

There will be a version of Stata 9 that will have SMP capabilities; it is
under active development.  We do not yet have a release date; we are guessing
it will be available either late this year or early next.  It will be an
extra-cost feature along the lines of Stata/SE.  When the SMP version becomes
available, you will be able to convert your Stata 9 license to the SMP license
for the price difference.

SMP stands for Symmetric Multi Processor.  SMP computers have multiple
CPUs (either on the same chip or on multiple chips), and share memory
and other components.  The idea behind an SMP-version of Stata is to
exploit those multiple CPUs to carry out calculations in parallel.
Paul Millar also wrote,

> It would seem to me that a stats package should be able to take advantage of
> multi-processing fairly easily, since each record could be a separate
> asynchronous task.

Our experience suggests that he is right.  We have been working with Windows
and Linux and Sun.

-- Bill                  -- David                  -- Hua
   [email protected]         [email protected]         [email protected]