st: Re: Europe maps

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Europe maps
Date   Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:48:58 +0200

Pau Salsas wrote:
> Uli, thanks a lot for your help.
>
> >You can produce maps with the boundary-file anyway if you set up the
> > master data by hand.
>
> I don't know how to do this.

Use the Stata Program -mif2dta- to produce the boundary dta File.

To produce the nonsens master file simply proceed as follows

. set obs <number>

where <number> is the number of polygons in the boundary file.

. gen id = _n

This makes the idenitier variable which correspond to the _ID variable in the
boundary file.

. gen xyz = uniform()

This makes an arbitrary quantitative variable to be drawn in the map.

. tmap choropleth xyz, id(id) map(boundary-file)

This produces the arbitrary non-sense map ...

> >We made an arbitrary nonsense master file and got a nice European map (as
> > long as you don't mind that Turkey is not fully drawn).
>
> Could you send those *.dta over? Thanks.

No. We just tried it out and decided not to follow this path. Mainly because
the boundary file did not contain Turkey. We did not kept a copy of it.

> Is there a way of buying other mif and mid maps?

I don't know.

Uli

+49 (030) 25491-361