st: RE: RE: RE: spatwmat: a further thought on XY coordinates

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: spatwmat: a further thought on XY coordinates
Date   Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:57:14 -0000

My comment was about "most geographers".

Alan probably has in mind what was not
explicit -- that I am formally (or perhaps
was formerly) a geographer. However,
I am not necessarily typical of "most
geographers". Nevertheless, the answer is simple.

You use a name. For example, I can get to
NASA, Houston, TX -- with some help from my
friends -- without using any numbers whatsoever.

This is not a technique I recommend to NASA.
To get to Mars, for example, you should use numbers.

FEIVESON, ALAN H. (AL) (JSC-SK) (NASA)

> Nick - So how do you refer to a point
>
> a) on the earth's surface (whatever "surface" means, since there is
> topography)?
> b) in the earth's interior
>
> without numbers?

Nick Cox

> This is not a problem. Most geographers
> do not worry about coordinates of any
> kind, being somewhat averse to numbers
> in any shape or form. Those that do are
> aware that the Earth is a oblate spheroid,
> and better treated in a non-Cartesian way.

Julia Gamas