st: datelist

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: datelist
Date   Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:35:27 +0000

Fellow Statalisters (especially StataCorp):

I am considering re-releasing my -datelist- package (downloadable from SSC) under a new name. The -datelist- command is a version of the -numlist- command which creates a list of dates in the returned result -r(numlist)-. The reason I want to rename it is that the name -datelist- has now been commandeered by StataCorp to describe a numlist with dates. I found this out when I typed

whelp datelist

and found some online help about the new -datelist- facility, as yet undocumented in the hardcopy manuals. According to this online help, it is now legal to have dates in a numlist, but you cannot create lists of dates in shorthand. For instance, if I want a list of dates from 01sep1922 to 01sep1952 separated by intervals of 90 months, then I must still use my own -datelist- package, as in the command

. datelist, first(01sep1922) last(01sep1952) unit(month) nunits(90)

and then refer to -`r(numlist)'-.

For the moment, it is possible to type

. findit datelist

and get to a copy of -datelist.hlp- from there, at least if the required internet connections are working. However, I would prefer my package to have a name of its own, if I am still going to need it in the long run. Are there plans to commandeer the name -listdate-? And, if so, are there any other names that Stata doesn't want that I might use?

Best wishes (and thanks in advance)

Roger

--
Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://phs.kcl.ac.uk/rogernewson/

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/