st: Formatting results: regressions and tables

From   "Stephen Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Formatting results: regressions and tables
Date   Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:34:15 +0100

I strongly recommend that users who want to produce formatted output
from regression-type commands to check out Ben Jann's -estout- command,
available from SSC.  It is very powerful, and useful for both TeX and
Word users. (In my opinion, -estout- dominates -outreg- for these sorts
of tasks.)  Users who may find these programs too complicated might also
check out Stata's own -estimates table- command -- that is a very useful
output formatter in itself and simple to use.

I would second yesterday's posters who asked for -estout-type facilities
for formatting output from tabulation commands, in particular -tabulate-
and -svytab-.  I suspect that the key to doing this would be via
processing of the matrices provided in returned results from each of
these commands. -tabulate, matcell()- is a rclass command returning a
matrix of counts; -svytab- is an eclass command which also leaves
results in a matrix. Can Ben's arm twisted?  Alternatively, I hope that
Ian Watson (one of yesterday's posters on this topic) can be encouraged
to make his proposed developments in this direction.

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk