Re: st: RE: RE: Stata Wish List

From   John Hendrickx <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Stata Wish List
Date   Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:47:28 -0700 (PDT)

--- Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'd turn the discussion about output aesthetics
> around. I'm interested in learning if anyone
> thought that anyone else was claiming that
> statistical program output _was_ typically
> suitable for straight reproduction in reports.
>
> Statistical output, almost always, gives you
>
> * more results than you really want or need
> (because somebody might want some of them)
>
> * more decimal places than you really want or need
> (because somebody might want some of them)
>
> * identifiers (e.g. variable names) that you
> and the software contract to use together, because
> no language can support the natural language you
> might well rather use instead
>
> * a layout you don't want (because how can
> the program know what you format you want, unless
> you specify that in total detail).

-desrep- in the -desmat- package lets you specify what output to
print after an estimation procedure and with how many decimal places
and prints the variable labels (if present) rather than variable
names. It can write the results as a tab-delimited file to help
simplify report-writing. -desrep- is bundled with -desmat- but can be
used separately.

To further simplify table-making, I have a Word macro "PasteAsTable"
on my website to paste and auto-format tab-delimited text as a Word
table. It doesn't fully automate report-writing but does make life a
good deal easier. See http://www.xs4all.nl/~jhckx/tools/

Good luck,
John Hendrickx