Re: st: Lorenz Curve

Subject   Re: st: Lorenz Curve
Date   Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:22:15 -0400

As Philippe suggested, there is more than one way to do Lorenz curves.
As far as I can recall, -glcurve- tends to drop zero obserations
(Philippe is the author, he should know better :)). To circumvent
this, you can do something like

gen alteduc = educ
replace alteduc = c(epsfloat)  if alteduc == 0
glcurve alteduc

or whatever is the way you deal with your variables.

Stas

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:30:03 +0200, [email protected]
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Sibel,
>
> I guess you should provide more information. It is hard to make any useful
> suggestion otherwise. E.g.
>
> - What command are you using for drawing your Lorenz curve? (There exist no
> official command and more than one user-written commands for doing that.)
>
> - How does your education variable look like? (categorical? in years? stg
> else?)
>
> - how are "no-schooling" people coded? (missing? zero?)
>
> - what's the fraction of people with no schooling
>
> - how does your resulting graph look like?
>
> - ...
>
> Philippe
>
> >Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:29:15 -0400
> >From: Sibel Selcuk
> >Subject: st: Lorenz Curve
> >
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >I'm trying to create a Lorenz curve for education data using the
> >STATA
> >command for lorenz curve. However, the resulting graph doesn't seem
> >to be
> >right as I expect the education Lorenz curve to be truncated along
> >the
> >horizontal axis because of the individuals with no schooling in my
> >data.
> >Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

> the system manager.
>
> This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name