st: How to replace missing values in panel data

From   soma ghosh <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: How to replace missing values in panel data
Date   Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:07:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Statausers,

I have a data set from 1977 to 1992 for every 5 yrs
(77, 82, 87, 92) with some missing values for my
dependent variables. For e.x. data on expenditure is
missing for the year 1977 and there are also some
missing values in the other years. I tried using both
impute and ipolate command in stata to get values for
1977. I used
sort id year
by id: ipolate exp igrs, gen (iexp) epolate.

But quite a few of the resulting values (about 30%)
are negative & the ipolated values don't seem to be
correct (way different from expenditures in other
years). Can anybody help me to find a correct way to
do this? Also, what is the mechanism behind ipolate or
impute?
Thanks!