Re: st: STATA Wish List

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: STATA Wish List
Date   Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:51:40 -0400

At 11:14 AM 10/20/2004 +0100, Stephen Kay wrote:
[...]

*       Ability to quickly copy over selected output straight to Microsoft
Word which looks as good as it does in the output window. I know you can
achieve this by running STATA's "translate" command but a quicker way would
be preferred. A two way output screen similar in appearence to SPSS's that
allows users to effortlessly copy over selected output to Word would be
ideal (but I think that's asking a bit much).
[...]
 Unfortunately in my commercial environment I'm
often called upon to produce lots of mind numbing contingency tables and it
is solely in this regard that SPSS has the advantage.
[...]
If I had a need to mass-produce such tables, I would look into the possibility of having an automated process that would create the distilled datasets in Stata, translate them to SPSS (using Stat/Transfer or a similar product), and launch SPSS to use that dataset and do whatever it needs to do to it.

You might spend a whole day making that work, if it is indeed possible, but it would be worthwhile if you succeed.

--David

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies
Johns Hopkins University