Re: st: Can Stata estimate Mixed Fixed and Random (MFR) model?

Subject   Re: st: Can Stata estimate Mixed Fixed and Random (MFR) model?
Date   Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:01:47 -0400

If you really have dynamic panels with strong time series effect (and
it looks so once you talk about causality -- is it Granger causality
that you want to test?) then both -xtreg, re- and -gllamm- will be of
little help as they assume independence of observations taken at
different time points conditional on the random effect. The focus of
the causality tests is to build a time series model and see the
strength of the relations between two time series.

Yes, -xtreg, [re|mle]- implicitly assumes MAR and provides consistent
and asymptotically efficient estimates (as MLE would, from the general
missing data theory, provided your model is correctly specified). The
reason it is not documented properly is that MAR/MCAR/NMAR concepts
are used in sociology, while panel data models are written mostly for
economists, so there is a lack of communication between the two
industries.

--
Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name