Re: st: repeated time unbalanced panel data

From   Daniel Lawson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: repeated time unbalanced panel data
Date   Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:59:56 -0500

Dear Paulo,

I don't find any specific questions in your e-mail, so I don't know what you want help with. You do state that the sort command doesn't seem to be having the effect you want. It appears to me that the data you present are already sorted by id and year. What other effect would you want the sort command to have?

What is the variable ``son06'' ? Do you have a variable for gender? If not, how do you plan to perform Oaxaca decomposition on gender? If age2 is supposed to be the square of age, it is coded wrong.

Perhaps the ``decomp'' command might be helpful to you. When I typed ``findit Oaxaca'' into Stata, the command came up.

package decomp from http://fmwww.bc.edu/RePEc/bocode/d
------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------

TITLE
'DECOMP': module to compute decompositions of earnings gaps

DESCRIPTION/AUTHOR(S)

decomp computes Blinder-Oaxaca wage decompositions. It compares
the results from two regressions, using intermediate commands
(himod and lomod), and produces a table of output containing the
decompositions. These decompositions show how much of the wage
gap is due to differing endowments between the two groups, and
how much is due to discrimination (regarded as the portion of the
wage gap due to the combined effect of coefficients and slope
intercepts for the two groups). decomp is designed for Stata's
regress command, but also works with other regression commands,
such as ivreg. heck option allows decomp to be used with Stata's
heckman command.

Peace,
Daniel Lawson
Graduate Student