Re: st: What are the practical uses of the -offset- option?

From   John Hendrickx <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: What are the practical uses of the -offset- option?
Date   Fri, 1 Oct 2004 04:23:56 -0700 (PDT)

An offset variable is a known component of the predicted value, in
effect it's given a coefficient of 1. It's routinely used in poisson
regression.

I've used an offset variable for two other purposes. One was to
create a table with a given set of marginals and an association
pattern. If you fit a loglinear model to (artificial) data with the
marginals you want and the log pattern of association as an offset
variable, the predicted values constitute the table you're looking
for. A second use of an offset variable is to fix the effect of a
coefficient to a value other than 0.

Hope this clarifies things a bit,
John Hendrickx