Re: st: stata for unix

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: stata for unix
Date   Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:57:14 +0100

>    I have to use a unix version stata to run programs from our server, but i
> am not familar with this system. Where can i find some guidelines for stata
> unix 8.2?

Well it kind of depends on how your accessing the Unix system.  Does it have X forwarding set up which would allow you a graphical interface (in which case you would use the xstata executable), or are you  using a telnet type client which would limit you to a command line (in which case you would use the stata executable).  One limitation of the later is that you will have difficulty displaying graphs (although a work around was provided earlier today on the list, so check out the archives).

Either way the commands that you use in Stata are virtually the same as under Windows.  There are a few caveats such as Stata for *NIX recognises the ~ to mean your personal root directory amongst other things.  One thing you won't be able to do if you are restricted to the command line

The "Getting Started with Stata for UNIX" manual would be a useful book to get your hands on, check with your IT department if they have a copy (failing that you could purchase it from the Stata bookstore).

Overall though if you are familiar with Stata for Windows, then you should have no problem migrating to Stata for *NIX.

HTH's

Neil
--
Answer   : Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion

http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/