RE: RE: st: Gologit, ologit and Akaike's Information Criterion

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: RE: st: Gologit, ologit and Akaike's Information Criterion
Date   Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:50:16 +0100

I'd echo Maarten's incisive comments here.
In fact, the statement by Long and Freese is temperate.

Consider also the comment by Richard A. Berk
in "Regression analysis: a constructive critique"
Sage, 2004, p.107:

"The common reliance in regression analysis on
variance explained and other measures of fit
is too often a substitute for hard thinking
about how useful a model really is."

The context is regression, narrower sense,
but I'm clear that the author would regard
the comment as more widely applicable.

The whole is a tough, sustained, well written,
no punches pulled critique of much that many
of us do.

Maarten Buis