Re: st: config. mgt issue

From   Daniel Feenberg <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: config. mgt issue
Date   Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:33:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Shannon Driver, StataCorp wrote:

> Stata ado-files are completely portable across platforms.  There are no
> differences between the Windows, Linux, and Macintosh ado-files.  You could
> share them across the network and everything would work.
>
> However, I would not recommend that you do this.  Running Stata ado-files
> across a network in this manner will be much slower compared to running them
> while they reside on the local machine.

"much slower"? We have a network license for Stata here, where the entire
wstata executable and all ado files are loaded across a network (via
Samba) and there have been no complaints about the speed of loading.

My understanding is that an ado file is loaded once when first referenced
in any Stata session, and is re-excuted (if necessary) from memory. So I
wouldn't expect any speed difference beyond a small fixed overhead (a
fraction of a second) for each Stata run. In a brief test here that was
confirmed. Am I missing something? Can you give an example of an ado file
that would be affected in a noticable way?

Daniel Feenberg
feenberg isat nber dotte org