Re: st: Binomial confidence intervals

Subject   Re: st: Binomial confidence intervals
Date   Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:37:05 -0500

At 04:55 PM 9/8/2004 +0100, Ron�n Conroy wrote:
Reading the paper and examining their graphs, it's really much of a muchness between Wilson and Jeffreys, which seem to suffer less from the lucky/unlucky p and N combinations than the Agresti. Agresti certainly gets third place, but did anyone reading the paper spot a compelling advantage of Wilson over Jeffreys, or the other way around? I didn't.

I have been using the Wilson interval since Nick wrote -ciw-, simply because I found -ciwi- an easy-to-remember command name.
I have to admit that, while I am a stickler about a lot of things, this is one of those issues where I am willing to have somebody smart tell me what to do and I will mindlessly obey (unless there is some compelling reason to do otherwise). It is something I will spend a few minutes on in class. But it does sound like Wilson is about as good as anything, works with large and small samples, plus Wilson got there first. Perhaps this is a disciplinary thing, but just off the top of my head I don't recall a lot of instances in Sociology where the binomial confidence interval was a source of great controversy. But maybe I just haven't paid enough attention.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]