st: Quintiles (?) distribution parameters with binary independent

From   "John Doe" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Quintiles (?) distribution parameters with binary independent
Date   Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:41:29 -0400

Hello All,

I am looking for some guidance with how to think about a quintile/binary problem.

I have a binary variable (More, Less) which determines the distribution of an outcome variables (Window). The binary variable is actually continuous, but has been forced into a More/Less format by another researcher, and for good reason. The distribution of Window is important as there is a therapeutic Window within which it is effective, or not. From Window, I can estimate risks of various things. The best way to do this is by defining percentages in each range (again done by another researcher):

More1 (%) Less1 (%)
Very Supra | 4.1 4.1
Supra | 13.8 17.6
Thera | 56.7 46.2
Sub | 16.4 8.6
Very Sub | 9.0 13.5

As can be seen from this, More is associated with a higher percentage of "Thera" cases, and less "Sub". It also seems that Less is associated with more skew/kurtosis. Inuitively, it would make sense if More reduced the sd, moved the mean closer to Thera, and reduced S/K.

Is there any more valid way to go about analyzing this? What was listed above is my "data" currently, but I should be able to get the originals later. My basic problem is that the parameters of the distribution (mean, sd, S/K) are all outcomes of the binary, and I am a little weirded out by estimating three outcomes from this data.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

*
* For searches and help try: