st: RE: RE: comparing coefficients

From   "Hoetker, Glenn" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: comparing coefficients
Date   Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:02:56 -0500

across groups in logit models, I'd note that comparing coefficients
across logit models is actually significantly trickier than the
literature would suggest.  The heart of the issue is that logit/probit
coefficients are scaled by the unobserved heterogeneity in the sample.
Thus, apparent differences in coefficients across groups can reflect
"real" differences or differences in unobserved heterogeneity.

The canonical reference on the topic is

Allison, Paul D. Comparing logit and probit coefficients across groups.
SMR/Sociological Methods & Research. 1999; 28(2):186-208.

Ken Train also discusses this from the economics viewpoint on pages
44-46 of

Train, Kenneth E. Discrete choice methods with simulation. Cambridge :
Cambridge University Press; 2004.

The interaction technique (logit y x_male x cigs_male cigs) is
particularly susceptible to yielding false results.  Even in a linear
model, it will result in apparent NON-significance of the interaction
term if the two groups have different variances (see Gujarati, Damodar.
Basic econometrics. 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1988).

I have a working paper that uses Monte Carlo simulations to test the
methods suggested by the Allison piece, finding them to be a significant
improvement over existing practice, although not a panacea. Simulations
show that the interaction technique performs particularly poorly for
logit, frequently yielding significant results of the _incorrect_ sign!
The paper suggests a few alternatives that might also be helpful.  The
simulations also show that even fairly small differences in unobserved
heterogeneity across groups can cause problems. If you think the paper
might be useful to you, you can find it ("Confounded coefficients...")
in the working papers section of http://www.business.uiuc.edu/ghoetker/.

Best wishes!

Glenn

Glenn Hoetker