st: RE: mvsumm and missing observations (part 2)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: mvsumm and missing observations (part 2)
Date   Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:22:05 +0100

Yesterday you wanted the variance in
a window of 5 even if there were only 3 values;
today things are more reasonable!

As many people have found, it is quite
easy to modify a Stata program (although
also quite easy to break it).

You should copy the file in your OS
to say -mymvsumm.ado-.

Then you open it in a text editor.
-doedit- will do fine.

In the first line

program def mvsumm, rclass

you should change "mvsumm" to "mymvsumm"

Below that, insert a new line like

*! mymvsumm 1.0.0 Jan Soko 11 August 2004

Now search the file for the two occurrences
of

if `na' == `window'

and delete them.

Now save the file and try it out. Warning:
not tested!

To keep track of how many actually are in
each window, you could

gen mimyvar = !mi(myvar)
mymvsumm mimyvar , stat(sum) gen(npresent)

I suspect that there is at least one further
change you will want to make, but that,
as they say in the texts, is left as an exercise.