Re: st: RE: Macro questions. (Again).

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Macro questions. (Again).
Date   Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:27:46 -0400

Nick,
When I talk about working inside macros, I am thinking of something
like this:
I know that one can increment a macro by doing: local myvars "`myvars' var1"
But why can't we REMOVE var1 from the macro myvars?
Something like (it's just an example, but maybe you have another syntax):

local myvars "`myvars' , -var1"

(where -var1 is intented to tell Stata to remove var1 from myvars).

This could sound odd but sometimes, macros contain a lot of variables and it is
painfull to create other macros that are just part of them (what I call
"submacors").

Best regards.
Amadou.

                      [email protected]
                      Sent by:                         To:       [email protected]
                      owner-statalist@hsphsun2.        cc:       [email protected], [email protected]
                      harvard.edu                      Subject:  Re: st: RE: Macro questions.

                      08/10/2004 06:59 PM
                      Please respond to
                      statalist

Thanks Nick.
This will spare me a lot of effort and time.
And...it is true I love Stata macros.
It makes life so easier... when one
get used to them.
Have a good night by the way.
Amadou.

                      "Nick Cox"

                      <[email protected]>           To:
<[email protected]>
                      Sent by:                         cc:

                      owner-statalist@hsphsun2.        Subject:  st: RE: Macro
questions.
                      harvard.edu

                      08/10/2004 06:51 PM

                      Please respond to

                      statalist

[email protected]

> I have some questions about macros.
>
> 1/ I wonder how to count the number of variables in a macro.
> I try the macro extended function (word count) but it doesn't work.
> For example, if I have:
> local myvars "var1 var2 var3 var4"
> then `myvars' contains 4 variables.
> But I do not know how to create a macro that contains the value 4.

I go

. local myvars "var1 var2 var3 var4"

. local nv : word count `myvars'

. di `nv'
4

and Stata tells me 4. (The macro contains not four
variables, but the names of four variables.)
What are you doing wrong? I have to guess.
Perhaps you are doing something like

. local nv : word count "`myvars'"

. di `nv'
1

Here you must remember Stata's definition of
a word. Stata by default parses on white space meaning
that

Amadou loves Stata macros

would be considered by Stata to be 4 words. So far,
so good. But Stata has another rule: double quotes
bind tighter than white space separates, so

"Amadou loves Stata macros"

is just _one_ word. This is just Stata's sense of
a word; forget here what you know about the grammar of
any ordinary language. Now, when you defined

. local myvars "var1 var2 var3 var4"

the " " were just ornamental; Stata took
them as delimiters, not as part of your
definition of the local myvars (and you
could have omitted them). But if you go

. local nv : word count "`myvars'"

the " " are not ornamental at all; they
are working hard to bind what follows
-: word count- into one word.

> 2/ Suppose several datasets containing the same variable floor indexed
> 1, 2, 3, etc.... Floor* number varies with datasets.
> I want to create the macro myfloor
> local myfloor "floor*"
> but then, I do not know how to create the macro containing
> the number of floor
> as in question 1.

This question was asked earlier today. As said then,
the number of variables is not often an issue. Nevertheless,

unab floor : floor*
local nfloor : word count `floor'

> 3/ How to work "inside" macros?
>    suppose you have the following: local "var1 var2 var3 .....varN"
>    suppose later in your dofile you want to do some tables on
> only - say 20-
> variables of  the macro.
>   Is it possible to just choose them (perhaps by specifying
> their position IN
> the macro)
>   without creating other (sub)macros?

The term submacro is yours; I don't know what you mean by it.
There are several ways of doing this, but they usually
involve creating other macros.

> 4/ Finally my last question is how to merge/append several datasets?
>     Suppose you have :
>    local mydata "data1 data2 data3 data4 data5"
>    foreach if i of local mydata {
>        foreach j of local mydata {
>          append `i' using `j'
>       }
>    }
>
> How to avoid data1 being appended twice?

Various ways. Here's one.

Start with the second word in the macro.

local mydata "data1 data2 data3 data4 data5"
local nsets : word count `mydata'
tokenize `mydata'

use `1'
forval i = 2/`nsets' {