st: Compact list of correlation, by cross-section

From   "Michael S. Hanson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Compact list of correlation, by cross-section
Date   Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:39:06 -0400

I have two variables in a panel that I would like to compute the correlation by cross-sectional unit, then list in a compact way by cross section. It's the listing that is the problem, as -by id: corr x y- yields many pages of output for my 50 cross-sections. Ideally I'd like something similar to the output of -tabstat x y, by(id)- ... but -tabstat- only reports univariate statistics.

I thought this was going to be relatively easy to code, but I ran into one large conceptual problem:

decode id, gen(idstr) // string for display
egen idn = group(id) // sequential numbers for loop
forvalues i = 1/50 {
quiet corr x y if idn == `i'
disp idstr " " `r(rho)' if idn == `i'
}

Namely, -display- does not accept conditions (i.e., the -if-)! Neither, as far as I can tell, do any of the assignment commands (e.g. -generate-, -local-, etc.). So I've pored over the manuals hoping to find an alternative approach, but I've come up completely empty. I'm certain I am not thinking about the problem the "Stata way," but I cannot seem to figure out what that way would be. I welcome any suggestions on how to accomplish what I am looking for. TIA.

-- Mike

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/