st: RE: tostring question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: tostring question
Date   Mon, 2 Aug 2004 18:24:07 +0100

This depends on what you are looking for and what the data
are like. Note that the display format of the numeric
variable you are trying to convert is
irrelevant unless you use the -usedisplayformat-
option.

The most relevant part of the help is probably
this:

-force- specifies that conversions entailing loss
of information may be forced.  Loss of
information means one of two circumstances:  (1) The result of real(string(varname,
"format")) is not equal to varname, i.e. the conversion is not reversible without
loss of information.  (2) replace was specified but a variable has associated value
labels.  In circumstance (1), it is usually best to specify usedisplayformat or
format().  In circumstance (2), value labels will be ignored in a forced
conversion.  Note also decode as the standard way to generate a string variable
based on value labels.