Re: st: Test for endogeneity in probit regressions

From   Mark Schaffer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], Axel Heitmueller <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Test for endogeneity in probit regressions
Date   Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:05:25 +0100 (BST)

Axel,

Quoting Axel Heitmueller <[email protected]>:

> Hi there,
>
> I suspect that I've an endogenous variable in a probit regression.
> In principal
> I could use a Durbin-Wu-Hausman test yet in the probit one naturally
> has only
> pseudo residuals and I'm not sure whether it works. Is there any
> alternative
> test for probit models?

I think you're right, the pseudo-residuals/DWH approach won't work.

If you think you have an endogenous regressor and you want to test for
this, then you must have in mind some alternative specification in which
the regressor is treated as endogenous and you have excluded instruments
for this regressor.

Were you thinking of estimating this alternative specification with Joe
Harkness' -ivprob-?  In that case you should be able to test for
endogeneity using -hausman-.  The -probit- estimation is efficient, the
-ivprob- estimation is inefficient but consisent, etc.

When it comes to -xtprobit-, the problem will be that you will again need
to be able to estimate the model treating the suspect variable as
endogenous.  I'm not sure how to do this.

Hope this helps.

--Mark

> Also, ultimately I would like to use the
> xtprobit pa
> model and would need to test endogeneity in there as well.
>
> Would be thankful for any ideas/recommendations
>
> Many thanks
>
> Axel

> This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use
> by the addressee.
> distribution or other
> action taken in reliance of the information contained in this e-mail
> is strictly prohibited.
> Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not
> necessarily those of the Department
> for Work and Pensions.
> If you have received this transmission in error, please use the
> reply function to tell us
> and then permanently delete what you have received.
> Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely
> monitored for compliance
> with our policy on the use of electronic communications.
>

> The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government
> Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by
> Energis in partnership with MessageLabs.
>
> On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus-free

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3008
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
you are prohibited from using any of the information contained
in this e-mail.  In such a case, please destroy all copies in
your possession and notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Heriot
Watt University does not accept liability or responsibility
for changes made to this e-mail after it was sent, or for
viruses transmitted through this e-mail.  Opinions, comments,
conclusions and other information in this e-mail that do not
relate to the official business of Heriot Watt University are
not endorsed by it.