Re: st: Box and whiskers graph

From   S�ren O'Neill <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Box and whiskers graph
Date   Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:10:51 +0200

Thank you very much for your reply - is there a reference you can give me,
that explains the reasoning behind these adjacent values - personally I rely
mostly on the book Practical Statistics for Medical Research by D. Altman and
I cant seem to find any reference to 'adjacent values' therein ... Also the
Stata Users guide and reference manuals seem to come up short ...

Kind regards
Soren

On Monday 05 July 2004 23:32, Ted Anagnoson wrote:
> The adjacent values separate the outliers from the rest of the data.  They
> are the 25th or 75th percentiles plus 1.5 times the Inter-Quartlile range,
> which is the distance between the 25th and 75th percentiles.  However, the
> adjacent value indicated on the graph, by convention, is "rolled back" to
> an actual data point, so that there is always real data underneath the
> adjacent value.
>
> So the adjacent values are not actually percentiles....but "adjust" to the
> characteristics of the data.
>
> Ted Anagnoson
> California State University Los Angeles
>
> At 10:46 PM 7/5/04 +0200, you wrote:
> >The box and whiskers graph illustrates the median value (with a line), the
> >25%
> >and 75% centiles (with a box) and the adjacent values (with the whiskers)
> > ... but what are the adjacent values? 2� and 97� centiles or ... ???
> >--
> >S�ren O'Neill, kiropraktor
> >[email protected]
> >tel. 6362 1906