RE: Off-topix/on-topix (Was Re: Re: Convert an SPSS file (was: Re: st: simple question))

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Off-topix/on-topix (Was Re: Re: Convert an SPSS file (was: Re: st: simple question))
Date   Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:00:20 +0100

I suggest and request very strongly indeed that this style
of discussion stops immediately. This is all getting too
personal, at least in some quarters, which is very sad,
because there are Stata points embedded in all the
rhetoric.

By the standards of many other lists, no one
is being very rude at all, but by the standards
of Statalist, things have gone too far.

It is just not interesting, and not useful to know,
that some people are getting annoyed with each other.
You should all come to the Boston meeting, shake
hands and find out that you can disagree and agree
at the same time.

I write not just as a semi-ancient Stata user
but also as someone who has, from time to time,
said a few things I shouldn't have said
on Statalist, and no doubt upset some people unwittingly.
So I have seen this from both ends, and ask you to
stop now before this gets really bad.

Those who have had a hand in running Statalist
have a proud boast: no one has ever been
thrown off Statalist in its history (10 years
old next month). Please don't break that record.