st: RE: Fixed effects decomposition (was xthtaylor)

From   "Jacob, Jeffry Ankur" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Fixed effects decomposition (was xthtaylor)
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:00:18 -0600

Hi Alex,

There is a discussion of the Hausman Taylor method in Wooldridge's book, "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data" in pps 325-328, and the estimation is coded in stata 8.

From a fe regression, one can not obtain a(i) as they are cleared off through time demeaning ( and so are z(i)). You can estimate a(i) by using individual dummies and running an OLS, but may loose several degrees of freedom.

The advantage of H-T estimation is that you can obtain consistent and efficient estimates of g. This is done in two basic steps. A fe regression is run to obtain within group errors. From these one obtains consistent, though inefficient, parameter estimates.

From this intermediate step, one can obtain standard errors of the individual and idiosyncratic error components and run a re model to obtain consistent and efficient parameter estimates.

In comparison to this approach, I do not think that the two- step procedure that you have outlined may work.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Jeffry Jacob