Re: st: Graphs in eps format with cmyk color

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Graphs in eps format with cmyk color
Date   Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:26:23 -0600

Jean-Fran�ois Blatier <[email protected]> asks about
CMYK support for Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) files in Stata graphics.

> Does anybody know if it is possible to create Encapsulated
> Postscript files (.esp files) using CMYK color system, ready for
> quadrichromy? Is-it possible within Stata?  Do we need any extra
> software to transform color system from RGB to CMYK? [...]

The timing of Jean-Fran�ois' question could not be better.  The version of
Stata on my machine has support for CMYK and that support will be made
official in an update late next week.  Jean-Fran�ois will be able to create a
PostScript or EPS file using CMYK by appending the -cmyk(on)- option to his
-graph export- command.  There are also ways to set CMYK as the permanent
default and to use CMYK values anywhere a colorstyle can be used, including in
-<prefix>color()- options and in .scheme files.  After updating, check the
links in -help whatsnew- to the on-line documentation for CMYK support.

If you do not know what CMYK support is, don't worry, you probably do not need
it.  Most personal computer devices, including printers, are designed to
"understand" RGB (red, green, blue) color values -- the colors used in mixing
light to produce all of the colors you see on your monitor or television.  If,
however, you want to have a book, or anything else, printed in color on a
publishers press, you will usually be asked to provide CMYK (cyan, magenta,
yellow, black) color values -- the primary colors used in mixing pigments,
like inks.  It turns out that the black values is actually redundant, but
using a black ink, rather than a mix of cyan, magenta, and yellow, is the only
way to get a true black color.  While most personal printers will pretend to
mix light and use RGB values, printing presses want better control over colors
and insist that colors be specified in the CMYK pigment colors.

-- Vince