st: Re: AMD64 systems

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: AMD64 systems
Date   Sun, 18 Jan 2004 08:15:18 -0500

On Jan 18, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Alan wrote:

If you are comfortable and happy working in a Unix/Linux environment,
the answer is yes.  I am not sure that I would recommend that a Windows
user switch to Linux64 on an Opteron just for the speed improvement--it
might be too much of a culture shock for them.
Economics is (as is sometimes not so apparent) a behavioral science. An economist would include in the cost-benefit analysis not only the cost of the cultural shock of a Windows user (and the ensuing short-term loss of productivity) making that move, but the benefit of the likely increase in their life expectancy due to a reduction in the probability of apoplexy following the repeated assaults on their system by the inevitable horde of viruses, worms,... It's sort of like the high-cholesterol person choosing to eschew unhealthy fast food -- it's a lot more effort to eat healthy meals (especially if you have to cook them!) but you will live longer to enjoy them.

This being Sunday morning in these parts, thus endeth the lesson.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/