st: re: machine options for Stata

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: machine options for Stata
Date   Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:14:49 -0500

Tim asked

I have two machine options at our University. First, there is a Sun
Microsystems Enterprise 4500 with 8 UltraSPARC-II Processors and 8 GB RAM
running Solaris 8. Will STATA be able to utilize the full 8 GB of this
machine?

I have a smaller Sun Enterprise multiprocessor server with 2 Gb RAM running Solaris 8 and Stata/SE 8. No Unix process can use the full RAM available on the machine. Typically, the system limits are set so that a single process can use 50% of the available RAM. It depends on how the sysadmin has set limits, which are per-user as well as systemwide (I have sometimes upped the limit for one of our users with a short-term need for more than 1 Gb RAM).

He also asked

My second option is a set of Unix machines that are in a cluster. Is STATA
scalable so that it can make use of several CPUs in a cluster or must in
run on a single machine?

A single Stata process cannot make use of more than one CPU on this machine (obviously, four separate Stata processes can fully utilize the machine). But Stata does not recognize a multiprocessor system as being able to work with more than one processor. This is not unusual; MATLAB for a while supported multiprocessing, and would use all four CPUs; the next release of MATLAB removed that tendency.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/