st: Re: SUR with Stata

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: SUR with Stata
Date   Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:50:24 -0500

On Jan 15, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Apostolos wrote:

I want to evaluate a system of equations using SUR. I did not program the
equations directly but rather I used the menu system of v. 8. I discovered
that it is very, very slow to converge and I also found it quite irritating
that it paused to inform me about the convergence criterion. What am I
doing wrong?

Beyond using menus? :)

Seriously, the "isure" option must be specified for -sureg- to iterate at all. SURE is a linear estimator, and does not need to do any iteration to generate its results. You may choose to iterate the SURE estiimator, but the default behavior of sureg does not do so. If there are (numerically) different explanatory variables in your equations, iteration may improve the efficiency of the estiimates, but from a large-sample perspective one turn of the crank is sufficient.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/