re: Re: st: post test comparisons of means using repeated measures.

Subject   re: Re: st: post test comparisons of means using repeated measures.
Date   Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:46:16 -0500

At 09:31 AM 1/6/2004 -0600, David Airey wrote:
Joseph Coveney said,

I've tried to compare both approaches in the do-file below using the dataset
that Alan cited.  The -mtest(bonferroni)- approach yields far more null
hypothesis rejections than the corresponding Bonferroni-adjusted separate
t-test approach.  Such a discrepancy is surprising.
This happens in a oneway between-subjects design too. The reason the contrast is more powerful than the independent ttest is that the contrast uses information for MSw from all groups and is therefore more accurate. Of course this is true only if the homogeneity of variances assumption holds. Perhaps along the same vein, the contrasts reject the null more than the dependent ttests because more information is used for the estimate of error, and in this case homogeneity of differences variances holds? The dependent ttest is sometimes preferred because you can use information from only those means tested, which is useful when sphericity is violated.
I just tried this with a oneway problem, and get the same kinds of results: The -mtest(bonferroni)- approach yields more null hypothesis rejections than the corresponding Bonferroni-adjusted separate t-test approach. These adjustments are already awfully conservative, and choosing an approach that makes them even more so is not very appealing! Although I guess you have to do what is right. I would think, though, that you would avoid the separate t-test approach unless it is clearly necessary, e.g. only go this route if homogeneity of variances does not hold?

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/