st: -matvsort- revised on SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -matvsort- revised on SSC
Date   Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:26:43 -0000

Thanks to Kit Baum, the package -matvsort- has been
revised on SSC.

-matvsort- was published in STB-56. It sorts
a row or column vector into numeric order.
-matvsort- has been updated to Stata 8.
In particular, it now longer changes the
sort order of the data. The previous version
remains in the package as -matvsort6- for
users of Stata 6 or 7.

I would not have updated this program without
a problem posed by Walter Forrest, which
has led to two additional programs being
added to the package.

-matrsort- sorts the rows of a matrix into
numeric order.

-matcsort- sorts the columns of a matrix into
numeric order.

Both require Stata 8.

You may well wonder whether -matvsort- (for
a vector) is now needed, given the more general
programs to sort matrices. However, if
we sort a vector, it always makes sense
to sort the row or column names at the same
time. So

pi     3.14159
e      2.71828
gamma  0.57722

can clearly be sorted to

gamma  0.57722
e      2.71828
pi     3.14159

However, if each row or column of a matrix
with more than one row and more than one
column is sorted, in general names
must be abandoned.

There remains the valid problem of sorting
a matrix's rows or columns according
to the values in _one_ specified row or
column, not tackled here.