RE: st: RE: Taking averages, etc.

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Taking averages, etc.
Date   Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:25:36 -0000

Your previous reference to SPSS style
had this example

DO IF X1 = 1 and X2 = 3
    Compute Y = 3.
ELSE IF X3 = 2 and X4 = 17
    Compute Y = 4.
ELSE
    Compute Y = 5.
END IF.

I know epsilon about SPSS and zero about
its internals. But if X1, X2, X3, X4 are variables,
then the implementation within SPSS presumably
means looking "inside", possibly at every element of each
variable. How efficiently that's done is a different
issue. In principle, SPSS must dig down and look
inside the variables to some extent.

Richard Williams