Re: st: Bug report: Stata crashes when inserting dataset with missing data via ODBC.

From   Michael Ingre <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Bug report: Stata crashes when inserting dataset with missing data via ODBC.
Date   Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:45:14 +0100

Thanks to Kevin Turner at StataCorp my problem seems to
bee solved with the next official update (next week). In
addition, Kevin has offered me a special tailored fix of the
problem until then!

I have to say that StataCorp is still able to surprise me. This
time with what they call "outstanding technical support".  I
couldn't agree more.

Thanks

Michael Ingre

> Michael,
>
> This problem was fixed and will be in the next update.
>
> The issue is only present with -insert- and has to do with
the fact
> that
> missing values were were being inserted as large numerical
numbers
> instead of
> just NULL. The initial reason for leaving the large numerical
> values was to
> preserve the multiple missing values that Stata supports (.a
- .z).
> However,as time went by, it became apparent that many
ODBC drivers
> simply could not
> handle the larger values in the context that they were being
> inserted. Many
> times the result was a crash. So the fix was made to convert
all
> Stata missing
> values to NULL.
>
> --Kevin
> [email protected]
>
> Michael Ingre ([email protected]) writes:
>
> > I have a problem when trying to insert data via an ODBC
connection.

> >. odbc insert _all, t(table) dsn(myodbcconnection) create
> >
> >When the above command is executed the first 4 rows of
data is
> inserted into
> >the table. Then Stata crashes (exits to the OS) and has to
be
> restarted.>
> >The first 4 rows contains complete data and the fifth row
has one
> cell with
> >missing data.  If I enter a value in the cell with missing
data
> and try
> >again, 10 more rows will be inserted into the database,
again
> crashing on
> >the first row with missing data.
> >
> >The problem seems to be related to missing data. Other
ODBC