st: Re: dialog programming

From   [email protected] (James Hassell)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: dialog programming
Date   Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:14:29 -0600

Sophie originally wrote:
>I am currently working on a dialog program which is meant to have a
>different dialog depending on the number of groups entered in the first
>window. I.e. if the use enters 2 groups in the main window, then he will
>find two boxes to enter a value in on the options window, and if he enters 4
>groups initially, then he will find 4 boxes etc. is there a way to program
>this?

And Thomas Steichen followed up with:

>If you have a small set of possible groups sizes, small enough so that you
>can choose among them with a radio control, then what you want to do can be
>done easily.  But, I am fairly certain there is not an _easy_ way to capture
>the numeric value of a control and use it to modify the appearance of a
>dialog window.

Thomas is exactly right. There is not a method built into the Stata
dialog language for passing information between two dialog windows.
Thomas also suggested letting the user specify the desired number of
groups with RADIO buttons. This is a good solution which could possibly
be enhanced by using a COMBOBOX	or LISTBOX. The general idea is to force
the user to specify how many groups are expected. With this information,
the event handlers for that control, can show and hide additional EDIT
boxes or other controls located on the same tab or even other tabs.
However, they cannot control other dialog box windows.

Sophie did contact Stata technical support and has been provided with
the information above. I thought others might be interested, so I decided
to post a follow up here.

James