st: merge question

From   Federico Castillo <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: merge question
Date   Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:21:21 -0800

Hello everyone:

i am using stata version 8 and attempting to combine three data sets. I am using merge because i am adding variables but (twist here) the data sets do not contain the same observations, each year (one for each data set) has about four or five extra observations. In any case, when i attempt to use the merge command two things happen:

1- Some observations are copied to the master data set twice...it seems that stata is reading the observation from the master and the "using" data set as two different observations....
2- Stata places values where there should be no values....if a value is missing in the using data set....in the resulting data set and after the merge command is executed the observation is assigned a value, this is definetelly not good.

so, my question: what is going on here? I did try to look into the archives but could not find a related problem and its solution, i will appreciate any help you can provide.

thanks in advance!

Federico

Federico Castillo, PhD
University of California
Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management
135 Giannini Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 510-6430319